PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS ENTIRE PAGE BEFORE APPLYING.
Applications are now closed for the 2023 Summer program.
- Applicants must be available full-time (40 hours/week) during May 22-August 4, 2023 to participate.
- Undergraduate projects
- Undergraduates completing their sophomore year or higher are eligible.
- Seniors graduating in December 2023 are eligible for undergraduate positions.
- Seniors graduating in May/June 2023 who are enrolling to graduate programs for Fall 2023 are eligible for Graduate positions.
- Seniors graduating in May/June 2023 who are NOT enrolling to graduate school are ineligible for NESSI.
- Graduate projects
- Undergraduate Seniors graduating in May/June 2023 who are enrolling in graduate programs for Fall 2023 are eligible for Graduate positions.
- Graduate students continuing graduate programs in Fall 2023 are eligible.
- Must currently be enrolled in a U.S. university.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. to be eligible for the NESSI program.
- For F visa students accepted to the NESSI program, CPT work authorization issued through a U.S. Designated School Official (DSO) or OPT issued through both a DSO and the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) will be required. International Students at U.S. Schools are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
NESSI seeks to involve students from groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences, including Black or African-American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latinx, female, first-generation college students, veterans, LGBTQ+ students, and students with disabilities.
Please be aware that all applicants selected to the NCAR Earth System Science Internship (NESSI) are expected to adhere to the UCAR Code of Conduct while participating in any NCAR/UCAR internship.
- Paid competitive hourly wage
- Travel to and from Boulder, CO
- Housing at CU's Bear Creek apartments shared with up to three other participants
- Weekly professional development workshops
- Networking and social opportunities with professionals and other interns
- Ability to work with a diverse group of peers
- Skill in the use of software for communication purposes (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email)
- Ability and willingness to learn and use scientific computing tools and programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Basic problem solving skills
- Ability to analyze data and draw conclusions
- Potential to excel in a scientific career
- Basic knowledge of mathematics, computer science or engineering - through coursework
- Ability to interact with mentors & peers in a manner to support collaboration and inquiry
- Ability and willingness to work within guidelines and policies of organization and assigned work groups
- Work 40 hours per week except for holidays
- Attend skill-enhancing workshops
- Give an oral presentation of research conducted over the course of the summer
- Create a scientific poster and present at a poster symposium
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS
- All contingent workers (V2 visitors, V3 visitors, and students) must be fully vaccinated before coming onsite to any UCAR-managed facility.
STEPS FOR APPLYING
- Review eligibility and academic standing requirements listed above.
- Obtain an unofficial transcript from your college or university. You can likely download a free copy from your school's Student Portal.
- Graduate students should include both their undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Update your resume/CV
- Write a not-to-exceed one-page cover letter clearly describing each of the following:
- Describe why you are interested in an internship at NCAR.
- Explain how this program addresses your educational and career goals and what you expect to gain if selected.
- Share how your personal background allows you to make unique contributions to the program (i.e. social, cultural, familial, economic, educational, etc.).
- In at least 200 words, describe how your past actions and future plans encourage and contribute to diverse and inclusive work environments within your community or university/college.
- In a separate document, please write an inclusion statement describing how your past actions and future plans encourage and contribute to diverse and inclusive work environments within your community or university/college (at least 200 words).
- Prepare your application packet.
- Combine your cover letter, inclusion statement, resume/CV, and transcripts into 1 PDF document
- Name the PDF “LastName_FirstName”
- Apply through Workday.
- Application - This link is the same for all 2023 undergraduate and graduate student NESSI Internships applications.
- *TIP* When uploading your initial resume/CV, the system will scan your resume and autofill prior job information. You only need to have 1 prior job information so save time by removing all of your extra positions. In the system, you MUST have at least one prior job.
- *TIP* Desired Salary: We have a TBD hourly salary for interns which is not open to negotiation. You can put "N/A."
- January 3, 2023: Application process opens
- February 12, 2023: Application process closes
- Mid to late March: Offers to selected candidates
- May 22, 2023: NESSI Program Begins
- May 29, 2023: Memorial Day Holiday, NCAR closed
- July 4, 2023 Independence Day Holiday, NCAR closed
- August 1-3, 2023: Tentative Intern Presentations
- August 4, 2023: NESSI Program Ends