GEO REU Handbook
We hope that this handbook will provide easily accessible guidance on creating and running an engaging and inclusive REU program, or Research Experience for Undergraduates. The insights in this handbook were generously shared by members of the GEO REU community over the last decade.
THE GEO REU HANDBOOK: A Guide for Running Inclusive and Engaging Geoscience Research Internship Programs
- What is an REU? [Or see the one-pager on REUs]
- Creating an Inclusive REU Application [Or see the one-pager on applications]
- Recruiting Students for Your REU [Or see the one-pager on recruitment]
- Selecting a Diverse and Balanced Cohort
- Logistics and Student Handbooks
- Mentoring in an REU [Or see the one-pager on mentoring]
- Team Building and Cohort Development [Or see the one-pager on team building]
- Developing an Anti-Racist REU Program
- Sexual Harassment Prevention
- Science Communication Training
- Career and Professional Development [Or see the one-pager on résumé writing, virtual professional development, or preparing for a conference]
- Ethics and Code of Conduct [Or see the one-pager on ethics]
- Evaluating Your REU Program [Or see the one-pager on evaluation]
- Publishing Education Research
View or download the full handbook [27.3 MB Low Res PDF], [80 MB High Res PDF]
Sloan, V., & Haacker, R. (Eds.). (2020). GEO REU Handbook: A Guide for Running Inclusive and Engaging Geoscience Research Internship Programs (1st ed.). doi:10.5065/ycba-qw42.
The content of this handbook reflects years of shared experience, materials, advice, and input from the community of REU sites funded by the National Science Foundation Geosciences (GEO) Directorate, as well as managers of internships hosted by scientific societies, governmental agencies, and non-profit organizations. This community of practice is truly a remarkable one and we thank the many people who have generously shared their thoughts and materials over the last decade. Many of the materials can be found at the website of the GEO REU Resource Center.
|Authors||Images & Other Contributions|